The Community Pharmacist's Role in Nutrition Counseling
1.0 contact hour (0.1 CEU)
To improve the pharmacist’s ability to advance patient health outcomes in the community pharmacy setting through nutrition counseling interventions.
Release Date: May 7, 2014 Expiration Date: May 7, 2017
Leslie Lake, PharmD,
Clinical Care Coordinator, Kroger Company
Residency Program Director Purdue University Community Pharmacy Residency Program
Upon completion of this program, the pharmacist should be able to:
- Explain the community pharmacist’s role in providing nutritional counseling, specifically as it relates to over-the-counter meal replacement or supplementation.
- Compare and contrast nutrition supplementation and replacements currently available over-the-counter.
- Describe the role of nutritional products in improving health outcomes for various disease states.
- Identify potential patient barriers, counseling points, and corresponding solutions to improve patient adherence and outcomes.
- Discuss mechanisms to integrate nutritional counseling into current community pharmacy-based wellness and/or disease state management programs.