Mastering the Next Level of Quality Patient Care by Addressing Malnutrition
- Discuss the key role of nursing in hospital-based malnutrition quality of care and CMS efforts to improve patient safety and quality
- Describe the vision of the Malnutrition Quality Improvement Initiative (MQii) and nursing’s role to improve care of the older, malnourished patient
- Review how to implement the MQii Toolkit in the hospital setting and monitor and evaluate results of quality efforts
- CDR Level: 2
- Suggested Learning Codes: 3010, 5285, 7160
- Performance Indicators: 5.2.5, 6.1.2
- Media Format(s): Audio (English)
- Run Time: 46 Minutes
Course Instructor Bio(s)
Andie Melendez, MSN, RN, CHTP, HSMI, RM
Ms. Melendez is currently a Clinical Nurse Specialist at Baltimore Washington Medical Center, Glen Burnie, Maryland. She develops programs that help maintain competency and clinical support for all medical and surgery units and as well as meet the needs of the large clinical staff. Ms. Melendez represents the AMSN on the Alliance to Advance Patient Nutrition, a national project to address hospital malnutrition.
Heidi Silver, PhD, RDN, CNSD
Dr. Sliver is currently Research Associate Professor of Medicine and Director of Vanderbilt Diet, Body Composition and Human Metabolism Core Lab, Vanderbilt Center for Human Nutrition, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition. Dr. Silver has extensive research experience investigating nutrition status and interventions in aging adults, individuals with cancer, sarcopenia, long term care residents, people with diabetes and veterans. She contributes to the nutrition expertise of the next generation of heath care professionals as a Dietetic Internship Preceptor and advisor to graduate students, medical students and nurse practitioners. Dr. Sliver has been a Board Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian since 1993.
Beth Quatrara, DNP, RN, CMSRN, ACNS-BC
Dr. Quatrara is currently a Clinical Nurse Specialist and Clinical Assistant Professor of Nursing at the University of Virginia Health System. She is director of the Professional Nursing Staff Organization Research Program mentoring nurse clinicians through the research process while serving as Clinical Assistant Professor for nursing and D.N. P students and continuing her role as Advanced Practice Nurse III, Acute Care. She has numerous publications focused on hospital malnutrition and the opportunities for nurses to impact the nutritional status of their patients.
attended a live program?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
continuing medical education courses